Question Two – Do Not Steal
Your second of four Commandments
- ‘What do pirates do to get rich that violates one of the 10 Commandments? (You may have to point out that they steal stuff – then ask…)
- Another Commandment says we should not steal. Regardless of the value, whether it’s a piece of fruit to robbing a bank, or something in between… Have you ever stolen anything in your lifetime? Wait for them to answer YES … (you may have to give them some ideas, especially older people won’t want to answer yes to being a thief. Like have you taken stationery home from work without permission, or have you read a book during working hours when you should have been doing what you were employed to do?)
- What do you call someone that has stolen something? Wait for them to answer – A thief
- So what does that make you? – Wait for them to answer – A Thief. If they struggle to confess that they are a Thief, ask them…
- ‘How many people do you have to murder to be called a murderer?’ – Wait for them to answer – One. That’s right; so you only have to steal one thing to be called a thief. Then ask them again…
- So if you have stolen something, what does that make you then?
If they still struggle to answer suggest…
- ‘If I stole your wallet or purse, what would you call me’ – A thief.
- That’s right, even if we have only stolen one thing we would still be called a thief. So what does that make you then? Wait for them to answer – A thief.
Suggest that they ‘Listen to the voice of their conscience’
NB: It can help if you agree with them that you have had the same problem. Once you get them to confess, go to the next page.
Try to make it fun.